Friday, June 5, 2009

restraint versus ambition

I’m great at starting pieces, I get very excited about new mock-ups, new paintings, but then I lose energy. I hit the mid-point where the painting has as much that is awkward and not working as is does nice moments; or even the almost done but not quite stage when my painting method requires a very slow, rather tedious refinement of what’s already there to bring it to finish and I run out of love for the piece. This energy and love is then directed to the next thing, the next piece which is no doubt going to be so much better than the current one(s) that I shouldn’t bother finishing the current one, it’s only a waste of time compared to the genius not yet accomplished.

The appropriate thing to do at this point is to have discipline, to show restrain, to push on and finish the current piece. And usually when I do push on the painting will turn a corner and move past its current awkwardness and get good or great. But it is so very hard to have faith that this effort is worthwhile or to merely summon the energy to push on when something else is calling me more urgently.

No comments:

Post a Comment